The Digital Promise Adult Learning Team expresses utmost respect and gratitude for the individuals who participated in interviews and case study groups, including dedicated frontline workers and adult learners.
We sincerely thank members of the expert advisory committee who provided key insights, critical feedback, and genuine encouragement to propel this work, including Cherie LaCour-Duckworth at the Urban League of Louisiana, Erin Mote at InnovateEDU, Holly Dobson, LPN and frontline worker representative, Iliana Wood at the City of Madison, and Joylin Kirk at Burning Glass Technologies. In addition, we greatly appreciate contributions made by Digital Promise researchers from the Learning Variability Project and Powerful Learning teams, with special thanks to Lisa Jobson, who co-led data analysis with heart and skill. We also thank Dr. Patti Constantakis, who spurred the first phase of this work, and consulted on research and communications for this project in collaboration with our partners from the T3 Innovation Network from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation. Ideas in this project are informed by the incredible work of World Education and partners from the Digital US coalition as we work to collectively promote digital resilience for workers across the nation. Finally, this work would not have been made possible without the generous grant support and thought partnership of Walmart.
- Muro, M., Maxim, R., Whiton, J. Automation and Artificial Intelligence: How machines are affecting people and places. Brookings. Retrieved from: https://www.brookings.edu/research/automation-and-artificial-intelligence-how-machines-affect-people-and-places/
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation, Center for Education and Workforce. (2017). Clearer Signals: Building an Employer-Led Job Registry for Talent Pipeline Management. Retrieved from: https://www.uschamberfoundation.org/sites/default/files/Clearer%20Signals.pdf
- Constantakis, P. & Noakes, S. (2019, January). Tapping Data for Frontline Talent Development. Digital Promise. https://digitalpromise.org/tapping-data-frontline-talent-development/
- Maxwell, Joseph. (2005). Qualitative Research Design: An Interactive Approach. 2nd Edition. Thousand Oaks: Sage.
- Bergson-Shilcock, A. (2020, May). The New Landscape of Digital Literacy: How workers’ uneven digital skills affect economic mobility and business competitiveness, and what policymakers can do about it. National Skills Coalition. Retrieved from https://www.nationalskillscoalition.org/resources/publications/file/New-DigitalLandscape-web.pdf
- National Skills Coalition. (2020). Health workers need investment in their digital skills. [Fact Sheet]. Digital Skills Series. Retrieved from: https://www.nationalskillscoalition.org/resources/publications/file/Digital-Skills-Health-NoCrps-1.pdf
- National Skills Coalition. (2020). Retail workers need investment in their digital skills. [Fact Sheet]. Digital Skills Series. Retrieved from: https://www.nationalskillscoalition.org/resources/publications/file/Digital-Skills-FS-retail-final.pdf
- National Skills Coalition. (2020). Hospitality workers need investment in their digital skills. [Fact Sheet]. Digital Skills Series. Retrieved from: https://www.nationalskillscoalition.org/resources/publications/file/Digital-Skills-FS-Hosp-fin-2.pdf
- National Skills Coalition. (2020). Manufacturing workers need investment in their digital skills. [Fact Sheet]. Digital Skills Series. Retrieved from: https://www.nationalskillscoalition.org/resources/publications/file/Digital-Skills-Manuf-NoCrps.pdf
- Hanleybrown, F., Lakshmi, I., Kirschenbaum, J., Medrano, S., Mihaly, Aaron. (2020, January). Advancing Frontline Employees of Color: Innovating for Competitive Advantage in America’s Frontline Workforce. FSG. Retrieved from: https://www.fsg.org/publications/advancing-frontline-employees-color#download-area
- Hanleybrown, F., Hawkins, E., Medrano, S., (2019, February). Advancing Frontline Women: Realizing the Full Potential of the Retail Workforce. FSG. Retrieved from: https://www.fsg.org/publications/advancing-frontline-women
- Digital US Coalition. (2020, May). Building a Digitally Resilient Workforce: Creating On-Ramps to Opportunity. Digital US. Retrieved from: https://digitalus.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/DigitalUS-PreviewReport-May5-2020.pdf
- Angevine, C., Cator, K., Liberman, B., Smith, K., Young, V. (2019, November). Designing a Process for Inclusive Innovation: A Radical Commitment to Equity. Digital Promise. Retrieved from: https://digitalpromise.org/our-reports/